This month, Dyson officially opens the doors to its new Dyson Demo Store – Beauty Lab at Funan. As the world’s first, the space has been designed to encourage people in Singapore to pick-up, test, and experience Dyson personal care technology. Visitors will also be able to enjoy exclusive in-store styling and customisation services.
Jim Rowan, Dyson CEO, says “The opening of our first Dyson Demo Store – Beauty Lab is testament to our approach in bringing hair science and technology to life for people in Singapore. This space allows us to get closer to our Singaporean owners, to better understand their needs, and to help them experience our technology in a Dyson environment. Equally, this points to our wider commitments to Singapore as a critical base for the research, design, development and manufacture of future technologies.”
Dyson’s portfolio of key personal care technologies will be on display
Conventional hair dryers can be bulky and difficult to manoeuvre, can blast air at high temperatures, which can cause extreme heat damage, all with the risk of hair being sucked into and trapped in the filter. Dyson engineers set out to rethink the hair dryer.
Powered by the patented Dyson digital motor V9, the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer uses a fast but focused airflow, is engineered for balance in the hand, is quieter than others and intelligently controls the temperature to help protect hair from extreme heat damage.
It is the result of a £50 million investment in its development, including the creation of a state of the art laboratory dedicated to investigating the science of hair. Dyson engineers spent over four year studying hair from root to tip, understanding how it reacts to stresses, how to keep it looking healthy and how to style it.
Dyson engineers always start with the problem. The teams researched current styling technologies and identified what they feel to be areas for improvement. Tangled hair. Temperature damage. Size, or weak and unruly airflow.
Unlike most styling tools that rely on extreme heat to style hair, the Dyson Airwrap™ Styler uses jets of air to allow you to achieve voluminous curls, natural waves and smooth blow-dry finishes – at home.
Using Dyson’s fast, high-pressure digital motor V9, the Dyson Airwrap™ styler harnesses a phenomenon known as the Coanda effect. The effect occurs when a high-speed jet of air flows next to a surface and, due to differences in pressure caused by the surface, the air flow attaches itself to the surface. Taking advantages of this principle, Dyson’s team of aerodynamicists created a way to style hair using only air combined with heat. The result creates a natural look with a sleek finish, helping prevent extreme heat damage.
Graeme McPherson, Head of Personal Care Category at Dyson, says “It is critical for people to be able to test and experience our technology, so they can understand how it works. This space is designed with that in mind. For instance, you can book an appointment online or walk in for a styling session with a Dyson beauty expert and get hands-on with the Dyson Airwrap Styler using its specialised styling attachments.”
Wet-To-Dry Styling Service
The new Dyson Demo Store – Beauty Lab offers four styling stations to allow people to test and experience the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer and Dyson Airwrap Styler. Professionally trained hair stylists will be on hand to offer styling advice and wet-to-try styling services. For more information, visit www.dyson.com.sg.
Customisation & Personalisation
The Dyson Demo Store – Beauty Lab is also the first space in Southeast Asia to provide customisation on all products and cases available. Customers will be able to pair their purchase of any Dyson personal care technology in a specific colourway with a case in a colour of their choice.
The Dyson Supersonic hair dryer is available at the Dyson Demo Store – Beauty Lab at Funan or www.dyson.com.sg at S$599.00.
The Dyson Airwrap styler is available at the Dyson Demo Store – Beauty Lab at Funan or www.dyson.com.sg from S$649.00.
- The space at Funan is the most recent addition to a growing number of Dyson Demo spaces around the world, including stores in Tokyo, London, Milan, San Francisco and New York.
- The Dyon Demo Store – Beauty Lab is the first of its kind in the world, focusing on personal care technology and unique in-store styling and customer service offers.
- The Dyson Demo Store – Beauty Lab is located at Level 1, #01-27 Funan Shopping Centre, Singapore (Central). Opening times 10am – 10pm.
- Alongside the personal care focused demo space at Funan, Dyson is opening a new customer service centre at Capitol Piazza.
- Dyson is a global technology company with engineering and testing operations in Malaysia, Singapore, the Philippines and the UK. Dyson employs over 12,000 people globally including 4,500 engineers and scientists – with an increasing proportion in South East Asia where production and operations also take place.
- Dyson is realising ambitious plans to develop new technologies with global teams focused solid state battery cells, high-speed electric motors, vision systems, machine learning technologies, and A.I.
- Dyson’s 67-acre campus in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, UK, is home to the Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology, which opened in September 2017. Dyson is making a £31m investment into UK higher education to help overcome the shortage of engineers in the UK. The four year degree programme, free of tuition fees, covers the fundamentals of engineering in years one and two. It delivers electronics and mechanical engineering content in years three and four – all alongside a paid job within Dyson’s research and development team, working on real products, with leading engineers and scientists.
- In September 2017 Dyson announced that it had been working on a battery electric vehicle for three years. It announced that it would be investing £2bn into the development of the BEV for launch in 2021. The project builds on Dyson’s existing expertise in solid state batteries, motors, vision systems, robotics, HVAC and aerodynamics.
Dyson in Singapore
- Singapore plays a critical role in the development of Dyson technology. In 2007, Dyson opened its first facility with a small group of engineers to support the transition of projects from design to manufacture.
- In 2012, Dyson officially opened its advanced motor manufacturing facility in West Park in January.
- The patented Dyson digital motor V9 is made in Singapore and has helped disrupt conventional, everyday technology. It sits at the core of Dyson’s cord-free vacuum cleaners and personal care machines.
- Dyson has invested £350m in motors manufacturing and one of Dyson’s patented digital motors comes off our highly advanced and automated manufacturing lines in Singapore every 2.6 seconds. Over 13 million Dyson digital motors are made in Singapore each year.
- In 2017, Dyson officially launched its new Singapore Technology Centre at Science Park I. The new facility – at 4,300 sqm, is 30% larger than the previous space – has the latest development labs, bringing together the latest hardware and software expertise.
- With the launch, Dyson announced its £330m investment in its future in Singapore, with plans to grow the Singapore-based engineering team by 50 per cent.
- Today, over 400 engineers work at the Dyson Singapore Technology Centre.
Hair Testing & Insights at Dyson
- When developing the Dyson Supersonic™ hair dryer and Dyson Airwrap™ Styler, Dyson engineers have developed specific tests on a variety of hair types to stimulate hair drying techniques and behaviors – which have been found to be different around the world.
- In total, Dyson engineers studied 7 different hair types and over 1010 miles of ‘virgin’ or undamaged hair tresses.
- To obtain the deepest insight on hair drying techniques, Dyson engineers and scientists also observed over 100 women over 2 continents wash and dry their hair for nearly 12 continuous days.